“But you, you’re not allowed.
an unfortunate slight”
– Alanis Morrisette: Uninvited
The pieces included in this section discuss issues around my current ill health.
I have been off work for the last three years with what has now been diagnosed as a “functional movement disorder”.
The journey to this point has been a long, painful and often frustrating one – particularly as my GP didn’t believe the symptoms I reported until I ended up on his office floor (That’ll teach him!).
Since then, my life has been a whirlwind of medical appointments; copious bloodletting (at one blood test, they took fifteen vials of blood! FIFTEEN!!!!); being rushed to hospital in ambulances; endless hours of vomiting which have not resulted in me becoming a size 16 (unfair!); verbal battles with a range of medical professionals (my Neurologist was convinced that my symptoms were due to “stress”) and a cocktail of drugs whose side effects were, if not already part of my symptoms, added to them.
Suffice it to say that my life is now unrecognisable from what it used to be. And it is only now that I feel able to put pen to paper on the subject matter: mainly in an attempt to get the frustrations out of my head – if only for a short time.
A big “Thank you” goes out to all the well wishers and to the family and friends who have helped us out over the last three years.
Post entries under this section
- Sick ‘n’ Tired (An exploration of anger as a healing process)
- The Invalid’s Answering Machine
- Spastic … and sh!t
- Vomit … and sh!t
- Recipe for Disaster
- Blue Pill/Red Pill
- Recovering With Grace
- Retirement 101
- If Your Universe Has No Moon …
- Officially Sick
- A Person, A Place, A Thing
- The Stink of Chronic Illness
- Functional Movement Disorder :: #1 – What Is It?
- Functional Movement Disorder :: #2 – Exploring the Symptoms
- Functional Movement Disorder :: #2.1 – Exploring the Symptoms
- Crippled Conversations
- Inside I’m Dancing
- Hospital Admission
- Hospital Admission Extended
- Endure. Breathe. (Repeat)
- Sex and the Wheelchair
- afterwords: Sex and the Wheelchair
SPREAD THE WORD
If you liked this post, I mean really liked this post, why not tell your friends? You could also subscribe while you’re at it. You know, so you don’t miss anything.
AUTHOR: I am might war. I have a love of music, the written word, travel, Anime, polar bears, people and “sticking and colouring”.